Monday 21 July 2014

Exploring Townsville

I like this place; it's bigger than I thought and a bit sprawled out but nice. Got a good camping place right opposite the beach although I haven't actually been on the beach as yet.

But I have been up Castle Hill - apparently pronounced ' Cassle Hill'round these parts - which gives amazing views over the whole Townsville  area, and also over Magnetic Island, a smallish island  just off the coast. It's mostly a holiday/ fishing place ( I think ) but I'll find out more next week when  I take a wander over there. 


There is a monument on the top of the viewpoint to Captain Robert Towns, formerly of Northumberland, UK, who founded Townsville. It was originally over his grave in Sydney but was moved up here at a later date.


It's nice and warm too, a comfortable 25  during the day but dropping at night to quite chilly. Funny thing is, people up here are all whinging about how cold it us; apparently they're having a cold snap and people are wearing winter coats and fleeces etc FFS! 

My plan is to give poor old Gerty a well deserved rest and a bit of a farkle while I'm in Townsville. I will remove some of the extra bits that were fixed to her before I got her and are now no
longer needed as I won't be so remote anymore. Things like the rocket launchers and also the panniers. Were I to ride long distance on a postie bike again, I wouldn't use the pikka postie bags but would use either a loop system ( but not giant) or two army webbing bags lashed together and slung across the rack. It not only cuts down on clutter but is much lighter. The panniers are very good but are heavy, even when empty. But they did their job and lasted the ride round the block and some very rough riding, so I have no complaints.

But I now need a bit of a change from riding and I know Gerty could do with a bit of Gert time too. I have looked after her ( regular oil changes, not overloaded, kept her chain and sprockets well maintained)  but I think I'll strip her down and give her some proper TLC over the next few weeks. I acquired a pushie to get around on too, so that will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment