Friday 7 February 2014

Exploring Cobar's delights

Hey, I found a reservoir  a couple of days ago and it even had some water left in it! Mind you, it was red and muddy, but it was definitely water! 




Maybe they should have used it here on the bowling green, to stop it becoming this bowling brown....


The old reservoir at Cobar, hidden up behind the railway line by Devil Rock, a bit shrivelled but surrounded by some excellent bush tracks for my morning two wheeled wanderings.






Nearly came a cropper here - 5 m drop but brakes worked OK. Phew


Whilst poor old Gordon recovers from his crash, I’ve amused myself by packing in as much local exploring as I can, something that would never have happened had we just passed through Cobar as originally intended. But having been here almost a week now, I’ve covered most of it and seen many of its nooks and crannies, and met some incredibly nice people. Like these: Adam, Michele, Marie and Ian. All top people and now good mates.




I think that life in general sometimes becomes such a habit; we’re all busy with our own stuff and  only when something interrupts plans or expectations do we look for alternatives because its forced upon us; why would we bother otherwise? But that’s when you find out about yourself, how resilient or resourceful you are, how open and approachable other people are, and how willing they are to help.  Since I’ve been on holed in Cobar, several people have told me stories of them being somewhere unfamiliar, had some bad luck yet been helped and looked after by locals. And even in London! Cheesy maybe, but affirmation that people in general are good and decent, regular people just living their lives, same as you or me, but that sometimes, it takes an event to remind you of it.  My fortune then to spend the week in Cobar.

We also got our ute this evening, and that will enable us to get Plan B on the road.  Both bikes will fit on the back, pannier stuff will go on the back seat, and then we’re off.



It is a bit frustrating not being able to ride, especially for me, but travelling is about overcoming obstacles and problems that crop up. Gordon’s prang last week could have been so much worse ( it was bad enough) but at least four wheels means we can get mobile and not stay holed up in one place. I just need to buy a ramp tomorrow to run the bikes up and onto the tray; Gordon can at least guide them while I take the weight and then tie them down. I’ll get the bits for his bike in Broken Hill probably, and fix it there over a couple of days. Both bikes are due a chain and sprocket change anyway, so a brake lever replacement and new handlebars won’t add much work, and they’re both easy to do. 










No comments:

Post a Comment