Thursday 12 June 2014

Back on the tar

And am I glad ? You bet, although I rarely say that as I love riding on dirt and tracks. I am so glad I ventured onto the Gibb River Road and the Fitzroy - Leopold road but it was a very difficult ride. Poor old Gerty coped really well and didn't put a spoke wrong which is more than can be said for me. 

Two years ago, whilst riding across Kazakhstan, I fell off and broke my wrist and although it mended, it's never really been right since. It's ok under normal circumstances but the extreme banging and crashing about of the last few days has buggered it a bit more than is copable on the very rough stuff. So, I called time and headed for the smooth surface. For now at least; if it's ok after a few days rest, I will probably give the dirt another go.

But I have a plan; I am going to build an adventure  trike to  allow me to get to places too difficult on a bike, and also allow me to carry the additional fuel and water. I'll keep it small and light, with trailey spoked wheels but enough poke to get over the sand and crunch the kms if required. Plus it will be very cool. Already got some ideas in the pipeline and enlisted the trike building brains of Zebb back in the UK. So watch this space!

Anyway, I rode to FItzroy Crossing and fuelled up today , then went to the info centre which was shut for lunch. However I met a lad who cleans there and was waiting to start work. Turns out he's from Taree over in NSW and has taken year off as he was halfway through an apprenticeship as a fitter and turner and was made redundant. So he came to WA to see what it was like and spend some time with his dad who teaches the evils of smoking to aboriginal communities. Nice lad and really chatty, gave me some really good pointers of where to go and what to see, and his view on living in an extreme climate with a substantial if fragmented population. He must be about the tenth person I've met from Taree , although not all in WA, and they all seem very surprised that I know where it is. But oh yes I do.

On his recommendation, I went to a croc free swimming hole not far out of town.  I washed the dirt out of my hair, off my face and rinsed my ridding pants through. Bloody lovely. And I didn't get chomped once. 

I'm camped in the bush about 10 kms out of Fitzroy on some higher ground off the highway; I didn't fancy either of the caravan parks in town.

It's so bright out here tonight that it's almost like daylight, the sky full of stars and the crickets all chattering away to each other. I was thinking earlier how used I've become to being outside, living just with what I've got with me, and that's it. Everyday is a new day as far as people go because I rarely see the same folk, so each day brings a whole new set of faces. And everyday, I meet good people. People come up and chat, they pass the time of day in the shop, servo, bank, street or whatever, if I stop at the side of the road to take a picture, make a phonecall, or have a drink, without fail. somebody stops to check I'm ok. 




No comments:

Post a Comment