Friday 11 April 2014

Back to Dunsborough



It was a full house in the Pemeberton YHA last night. Nine in all, six of which were in my dorm (including me). A couple cycling, two Italian lads looking for holiday work and a Belgian who was wandering with a bit of work here and there.   An English bloke on his own, and a couple, but they didn't speak to anybody at all, not even a hello or goodbye, which was a  bit odd in such a small place. And for some reason, the two Italian boys kept asking me how things worked; the washing machine, the drier, the shower, the microwave. Must be my mumsie vibes or something.

I got going by 0900 this morning, desite only having about 100 kms to go. A cool morning but it smelt hot and as I rode, I could smell the grasses drying out and the oil from the eucalypts wafting up on the still air as things warmed up.

I passed a duck pond not very far out of Pemberton. There were hundreds of ducks on it, a real duck central, but of course, most upped and cleared off as soon as I stopped. But the noise! Those that flew, landed in the field but all of them were making duck noises like there was no tomorrow.



There is alot of bait in the forests that I rode through today. I guess its because of foxes, feral cats and dingos, all of which are a pest here, although dingos are not per se, just when they interfere with sheep and cattle. And there is some disease going on, only I don’t know what. I’m assuming its flora  related but it might be animals instead.



It only took me about three hours to get to Dunsborough, Where I dumped my stuff back at the YHA and headed off to Yallingup for a swim, via a shop to buy swimming goggles - just like those you use in a swimming pool; the full on snorkel stuff is too bulky to carry - and what a good call that was.  The water is clear, just like its come out of a tap, and the sand is pristine white and acts as a giant reflector, so it is very light under the surface. 


And that of course means vegetation and creatures are clearly visible The reef means no sharks, but smaller, non eat you fish in the sheltered water.  It wasn’t spectacular like the reef we explored in Hawaii, but it was still pretty interesting.







The current was surprisingly strong and it was hard work to keep in one place, but looking underwater, it was as if a gale force wind was blowing, especially when a wave passed overhead.  Fish got pushed backwards, plants billowed and bent, and particles of sand were picked up by the water, and sparkled in the sunlight as light passed down to the seabed and back again. 


It was quite magical really, a hidden world, sort of windy garden scene with Christmas glitter like sand and fish darting about, albeit backwards. Monty Python meets Gardener’s World. Not much in the way of shells down there, but a few bits of broken off coral, which I had take onto the sane to photograph as I couldn't risk my phone in the water.



I spent a couple of hours doing that and taking pictures but my camera gave up. I’m not sure if its just an exhausted battery or some water got in but it stopped working and I couldn’t use it to photograph the shoal I suddenly found myself in. I was just there, floating and looking at what was going on, when I became aware of things moving around me and there they were: fish. All the same sort, just coasting on the current and not minding me at all. I guess they were each about 30cms long, but I have no idea what they were. 

I sat on the beach for a but half and hour after my jaunt, watching the gulls argue over nothing, but had to leave as I was falling asleep. 


My hair was pretty special too, wild and wave swept. But different to the usual helmet hair I guess.



I don’t know why I’m so tired but its 2032 and I can hardly keep my eyes open. Ridiculous. And I have physio tomorrow, which will make things even worse, but hopefully, the session with her tomorrow will fix what needs fixing.














No comments:

Post a Comment