Sunday 16 March 2014

Arkaroola

Well I made it up that track from Yunta without mishap.

I definitely got a reminder of my own mortality though.


Not a bad thing when you're on your own, miles from anywhere, and in the baking sun.


 A few ruins on the way, wide open spaces, and the dog fence of course, which I initially had trouble finding. Its a right tatty old bit of fence but its the longest fence in the world, and I've seen it now, so whoop whoop.




I rode into Arkaroola in the early evening, and the last few kms were a bit tortuous as my bum was sore from the constant corrugations.  But I'd been there about 10 minutes when Doug the owner and mechanic Roger whisked me back down the way I'd come to see a colony of Yellow Footed Rock wallabies.



We stopped in at the airstrip too for Doug to fix a light on the wing of his Cessna. The runway markers were excellent, held in place with tent pegs. Hard hats.


Because of that little detour, I had to set up in tha dark which was difficult given the rough track I had to ride, but that was OK. Doug gave me some pointers for what to see the next day, and off riding I went.

The Oche Wall

The Pinnacles

Bit of very rough track

The hill that beat us; too steep
It's in the Gammon Ranges national Park and its beautiful up there. Really quiet and spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment